Organic Smoked Paprika "Spanish Pimentón"
Country of Origin:
Our organic smoked "Spanish Pimentón" paprika is the quality you would expect from a high quality Spanish product. Made from the dried, ground, ripened fruit pods of less pungent varieties of the "Capsicum annum" species. It is mildly flavored and prized for its brilliant red color. It is closely related to red pepper which also derives from the "Capsicum annum" species.
"Capsicum annum" species are indigenous to Central Mexico and have been in cultivation for centuries. Christopher Columbus "discovered" paprika in 1493 and brought a ship laden with spices from the Americas back to Europe. Paprika was introduced in Spain in the 16th century, and the Jeronimos monks at the Yuste Monastery in southwestern Spain started producing it for local consumption. The trade in paprika expanded from the Iberian Peninsula to Africa and Asia, and ultimately reached Central Europe through the Balkans, then under Ottoman rule, which explains the Hungarian origin of the English word "paprika". In Spanish, paprika is known as "pimentón".
What are your different kinds of Paprika?
- Organic Paprika Powder:
- This is the most common variety. Mild taste and what you will most commonly find on the market. We have paprika powder from China, Egypt & Spain depending on the season and format.
- Organic Paprika Powder (Smoked):
- This variety is has a smoky flavor you might find by grilling outdoors or charring a red pepper. The flavor is still sweet and cool without adding too much heat to the dish. We have smoked paprika powder from USA.
- Organic Paprika Powder (Spanish Pimentón):
- This variety, also know as true paprika is made from peppers that are smoked and dried over oak fires. This process gives the red powder a rich, smoky flavor. This Spanish pimentón is produced using traditional techniques and comes from specific areas in Spain, as per the Denominations of Origin (D.O.) European Union laws.
In order to keep our organic herbs, spices & seasoning blends as fresh as possible we keep our standing inventory very low. There may be up to a 4 week lead time for this product to get you the freshest products possible.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.