Organic Shea Butter (RBD)
Our organic shea butter (RBD) is fat that's been extracted from shea tree nuts. It's off-white or ivory-colored and has a creamy consistency that's easy to spread on your skin. Most shea butter comes from shea trees in West Africa.
This organic shea butter is food grade so it can be used both for cooking and for cosmetic purposes.
Many of the health benefits of shea butter are gained when you use the product topically. The butter works as an emollient and can help to smooth and soften the skin. It also contains ingredients that may reduce skin swelling and may relieve symptoms in some people with eczema.
Fans of shea butter also claim that it can provide other benefits including relief from acne, muscle soreness, sinus infections, wound healing, hay fever, and arthritis. There is not enough scientific evidence to support these claims. However, research is ongoing and some studies have provided promising results for anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties.
What does "RBD" mean?
- RBD is an acronym, which stands for Refined, Bleached and Deodorized. As the organic standard prescribes there is no use of chemical bleach or any other artificial chemical for that matter used during the process.
- "RBD" shea butter is dry steamed to deodorize while being carefully monitored to stay under 180 degrees Celsius. This neutralizes the majority of the strong taste and smell making ideal for cooking and use on the skin. This is not does not make the product inferior in any way.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.