Organic "Decaffeinated Swiss Water" Coffee Beans (Certified Fairtrade)
Country of Origin:
Our organic “Decaffeinated Swiss Water” coffee beans are a premium dark roast. Made from Peruvian beans it is has a soft taste and citrus notes.
These beans are certified Fairtrade and the utmost care has been taken to handpick producers for a quality product while making sure the employees receive decent pay and quality services.
What does Swiss Water decaffeination mean?
- The Swiss Water process is an organic, 100% chemical-free option for decaffeination. It was discovered in the 1930s in Schaffhausen, Switzerland, and is commercialized by the Swiss Water Decaffeinated Coffee Company Inc, founded in 1988. Instead, it uses water, temperature and time to maintain deep, dark, delicious flavor.
- Essentially, the Swiss Water process removes caffeine by gently soaking green coffee beans in a water solution for 8-10 hours. The solution absorbs caffeine from the beans, and is then repeatedly carbon filtered until 99.9% of the caffeine is removed. The beans are then dried, can be roasted for delicious coffee.
- There are other methods to decaffeinate coffee such as the direct-solvent process, indirect-solvent process, & carbon dioxide process. These processes use chemicals like methylene chloride and ethyl acetate, or steps involving pressurized liquid carbon dioxide.
- We rather stick to the Swiss Water process which uses no chemicals and is environmentally friendly.
What does Fairtrade certification mean?
- Fairtrade products are far more than just fair prices, they create sustainable impact in three interconnected areas: economic, social, and environmental. These are known as the three pillars of sustainability:
- Economic: Fairtrade sets economic Standards for farmers and workers to benefit from income security and financial independence. These include the Fairtrade Minimum Price for most commodities, which aims to provide producers with a safety net against falling prices, along with the Fairtrade Premium that provides producers with additional money to invest as they choose. Fairtrade also emphasizes long-term partnerships that help yield sustainable and decent livelihoods.
- Environmental: Environmental criteria emphasize ecologically and agriculturally sound practices, including responsible water and waste management, preserving biodiversity and soil fertility, minimal use of pesticides, and the prohibition of the use of GMOs. Organic production is promoted and rewarded by higher Fairtrade Minimum Prices for organically grown products.
- Social: Social criteria for small-scale producers include requirements on democratic self-organization, participatory decision-making, transparency, and non-discrimination. For hired labour, our Standards require non-discriminatory employment practices, fair pay, freedom of association, and safeguards for worker health and safety. Forced labour and child labour are prohibited under the Fairtrade Standards.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.