Instaferm Red #01 Dry Yeast
Our conventional Instaferm (Red #01) active dry yeast by Lallemand is the industry standard for yeast. Conveniently packaged in 450 gram vacuum packed bricks this yeast is ''all-purpose'' and works with 0-8% sugar dough. The ''Red #01'' simply refers to the product number at Lallemand.
This yeast is not organic, this is the only non-organic product we sell.
What is yeast?
- Yeast is a unicellular microorganism that has been used in production of various food and drinks for thousands of years. Today yeast is produced industrially for bakers, wine makers and many other applications. Yeast has specific nutrient requirements for growth. It needs a source of sugar and nitrogen as well as vitamins, minerals and trace elements.
- Simply it is a organism that eats starches and sugars in the flour, turning them into alcohol and carbon dioxide gas. This gas inflates the network of air bubbles, causing the dough to rise. During rising, the yeast divides and multiplies, producing more carbon dioxide. As long as there is ample air and food (carbohydrates) in the dough, the yeast will multiply until its activity is stopped by the oven’s heat.
Did you know?
- Most organic store bought and even bakery breads are made with conventional yeast
- For a long time, yeast was classified as a ''non-agricultural food substance'' on the ''National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances'' because no company was making organic yeast as its production method is very different. It is still classified like this today but pressure is being put to change its classification to force commercial bakeries to use organic yeast in order to sell their products as organic.
- While there is a huge price difference between convetional and organic yeast, more and more bakeries are making the switch despite the cost. Consumer awareness and education are pushing bakeries to keep offering better quality products.
Locally made in Canada, buying our Instaferm yeast encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.
We Also Recommend
Organic White Unbleached Sifted Wheat ''All-Purpose'' Flour