Organic Black Chia Seeds
Our organic black chia seeds are loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids. "Chia" translates to "Strength" in Mayan. Native to Mexico and northern Guatemala, chia seeds were one of the main staples in Mayan and Aztec diets as early as 3,500 B.C.
Chia seeds are the perfect replacement for eggs. Soaked in water they swell and form a gelatinous mixture similar to tapioca. Chia seeds are gluten free yet they still provide the texture and benefits of grains. Chia seeds can absorb up to 9 times their weight in liquid.
What is the difference between White and Black Chia Seeds?
- Nutritional differences do exist between black and white chia, yet they are so marginal that most consider them entirely equal.
- Black chia seeds have slightly higher protein content which allows for slightly higher crop yields. The earliest farmers of chia seeds may have preferred black seeds for this reason explaining the decline in white chia production.
- White chia seeds are slightly higher in ALA Omega-3 fatty acid content. These differences are so marginal that it can vary depending on the growing location and are often times undetectable.
- Most people make their decision purely on aesthetics, black chia is often preferred when used as a seed or oil, while white chia makes for a more aesthetically pleasing flour.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.
We Also Recommend
Fraicheur bien emballée!
L’emballage sous vide donne confiance au produit, et c’est rassurant. Livraison rapide et impeccable. Merci!
Good quality and Quick turnaround
Very easy to order and received quickly (located in northern ontario)
Everything was great, as promised! Shipping was quick and it all tastes great! Thank you.
Fresh and delicious
Online Organics offers the freshest, tastiest bulk option. Will be ordering again!
easy to order