Organic Black Quinoa
Our organic black quinoa is one of the world's most popular health foods. Quinoa is gluten-free, high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain sufficient amounts of all nine essential amino acids.
It is also high in fiber, magnesium, B vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants.
Quinoa was an important crop for the Inca Empire. They referred to it as the "mother of all grains" and believed it to be sacred. It has been eaten for thousands of years in South America and only recently became a trend food, even reaching superfood status.
What is the difference between Royal White Bolivian, White, Red and Black Quinoa?
- Royal white bolivian quinoa has the largest and fluffiest grains out of all the quinoa varieties. Other than that it is the same than white quinoa.
- Red quinoa has a richer taste, slightly chewier and heartier texture, and somewhat nuttier flavor compared to white quinoa. It is preffered when serving in cold dishes as it keeps its shape and does not turn to mush as much as white quinoa. It also takes a couple of more minutes to cook than white quinoa.
- Black quinoa has more of an earthy flavor than white quinoa and is a tiny bit sweeter. It also takes a couple of more minutes to cook than red quinoa.
Why don't you sell tri-color (White, red, black)?
- Since they all cook at different speeds trying to cook tri-color quinoa will never give optimal results. One will always be overcooked while the other undercooked.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.