Organic Brown Rice Syrup (42DE)
Country of Origin:
Our organic brown rice syrup 42DE is produced by exposing cooked rice to enzymes that break down starches and turn them into smaller sugars, then filtering out the impurities. The result is a thick, sugary syrup.
Brown rice syrup contains three sugars: maltotriose (52%), maltose (45%), and glucose (3%). However, don't be fooled by the names. Maltose is just two glucose molecules, while maltotriose is three glucose molecules. Therefore, brown rice syrup acts like 100% glucose inside your body.
Organic brown rice syrup is better than refined sugar because it has no fructose. Although some fructose from fruit is completely fine, large amounts from added sugar may have harmful effects on health.
Evidence suggests that its fructose is especially harmful. Of course, fructose doesn't raise blood sugar levels nearly as much as glucose. As a result, it is better for people with diabetes. But glucose can be metabolized by every cell in your body, fructose can only be metabolized in significant amounts by your liver. Some scientists hypothesize that excessive fructose intake may be one of the underlying causes of type 2 diabetes. So to conclude, all sugars are better consumed in moderation but our brown rice syrup is a good alternative for people not suffering from diabetes.
What does 42DE mean?
- The DE stands for Dextrose Equivalent, which is used to classify glucose syrups.
- 42DE is a thick syrup with an average sweetness. It is the most common grade.
- 63DE is a little less common and is less viscous and a little sweeter.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.