Organic Buckwheat Roasted Kasha
Our organic roasted kasha buckwheat are not related to wheat in any way and is gluten-free! Buckwheat is actually a seed that comes from the plant "fagopyrum esculentum", which remains fairly short but becomes very widespread and develops green heart-shaped leaves with tiny white flowers.
Cultivated as a grain-like seed and a cover crop throughout Asia and in parts of Europe and North America, the seeds of the plant are commonly referred to as a pseudocereal. The seeds are rich in protein and fiber, as well as a variety of antioxidants and other nutrients, which leads many people to consider buckwheat a superfood.
What is the difference between buckwheat white groats and roasted kasha buckwheat?
- Both roasted kasha and raw buckwheat groats are simply whole buckwheat seeds. The difference is that Kasha is toasted, and buckwheat white groats are not.
- Roasting highlights the flavor but make the seeds very hard so they have to be soaked or boiled unless you want to crack a tooth.
Locally grown in Canada, buying our organic roasted kasha buckwheat encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.
We Also Recommend
Organic White Unbleached Sifted Wheat ''All-Purpose'' Flour