Organic Buckwheat White Groats (Chinese)
Our organic buckwheat white groats are not related to wheat in any way and is gluten-free! Buckwheat is actually a seed that comes from the plant "fagopyrum esculentum", which remains fairly short but becomes very widespread and develops green heart-shaped leaves with tiny white flowers.
Cultivated as a grain-like seed and a cover crop throughout Asia and in parts of Europe and North America, the seeds of the plant are commonly referred to as a pseudocereal. The seeds are rich in protein and fiber, as well as a variety of antioxidants and other nutrients, which leads many people to consider buckwheat a superfood.
What is the difference between buckwheat white groats and roasted kasha buckwheat?
- Both roasted kasha and raw buckwheat groats are simply whole buckwheat seeds. The difference is that Kasha is toasted, and buckwheat white groats are not.
- Roasting highlights the flavor but make the seeds very hard so they have to be soaked or boiled unless you want to crack a tooth.
What is the difference between Chinese and Canadian white buckwheat groats?
- None, it is simply a matter of different growing season and logistics. Sometimes we have both sometimes just one of the two.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.