Organic Buckwheat White Groats (Canadian)
Country of Origin:
Our organic buckwheat white groats are not related to wheat in any way and is gluten-free! Buckwheat is actually a seed that comes from the plant "fagopyrum esculentum", which remains fairly short but becomes very widespread and develops green heart-shaped leaves with tiny white flowers.
Cultivated as a grain-like seed and a cover crop throughout Asia and in parts of Europe and North America, the seeds of the plant are commonly referred to as a pseudocereal. The seeds are rich in protein and fiber, as well as a variety of antioxidants and other nutrients, which leads many people to consider buckwheat a superfood.
What is the difference between buckwheat white groats and roasted kasha buckwheat?
- Both roasted kasha and raw buckwheat groats are simply whole buckwheat seeds. The difference is that Kasha is toasted, and buckwheat white groats are not.
- Roasting highlights the flavor but make the seeds very hard so they have to be soaked or boiled unless you want to crack a tooth.
What is the difference between Chinese and Canadian white buckwheat groats?
- None, it is simply a matter of different growing season and logistics. Sometimes we have both sometimes just one of the two.
Locally grown in Canada, buying our organic white buckwheat groats encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.