Organic Canola Oil (RBD)
Our organic canola oil (RBD) has the lowest saturated fat content of all common vegetable oils. Its light texture, taste and high smoke point make it a versatile choice for home and commercial kitchens.
What is Canola oil?
- If you are looking for the canola seed, you won't find it. Canola is a contraction of Canada and ''o'' oil, ''l'' low, ''a'' acid. It was developed in Canada in the 1970's.
- Canola oil is made from rapeseed. It is believed that the oil was renamed as rapeseed oil doesn't sound very appealing.
- Rapeseed belongs to the mustard seed family. Its unfortunate name comes from the Latin word “rapum” which means turnip. Rapeseed oil was a common cooking oil in Europe and parts of Asia centuries before canola oil came around. However, scientists eventually discovered cooking unrefined rapeseed oil at high temperatures was a risk for lung cancer because of the chemicals it could give off. It also contains a pretty high percentage of erucic acid, which is linked to heart lesions in lab animals.
- That is where our canadian innovation arrives. Our scientists developed a new hybrid rapeseed crop as well as a new extraction method which solved the original rapeseed oil problems.
- Canola oil is now one of Canada's biggest agricultural exports and is linked to over 250,000 jobs.
- Organic Canola oil has all the advantages of a healthy organic, non-gmo product while encouraging Canadian farmers.
What does "RBD" mean?
- RBD is an acronym, which stands for Refined, Bleached and Deodorized.
- As the organic standard prescribes there is no use of chemical bleach or any other artificial chemical for that matter used during the process.
- "RBD" organic canola oil is dry steamed to deodorize while being carefully monitored to stay under 180 degrees Celsius. This neutralizes the majority of the rapeseed taste and smell making ideal for cooking and frying. This is not does not make the product inferior in any way.
Locally grown in Canada, buying our organic canola oil encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.
We Also Recommend
Organic White Unbleached Sifted Wheat ''All-Purpose'' Flour