Organic Chaga Powder
Our organic chaga powder is believed to fight inflammation, lower blood sugar, reduce blood pressure, alleviate arthritis, and slow the progression of cancer. Chaga is rich in fiber and essential nutrients, including vitamin D, iron, magnesium, potassium, manganese, and calcium. Chaga's high melanin content has led some to believe that it can bolster the melanin naturally found in the skin, thereby protecting it from sun damage, skin cancer, wrinkles, or aging. Melanin is also a potent antioxidant and has one of the highest oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) scores of any food.
What is Chaga?
- Chaga mushroom (Inonotus obliquus) is a type of fungus that grows mainly on the bark of birch trees in cold climates, such as Northern Europe, Siberia, Russia, Korea, Northern Canada and Alaska.
- Chaga is also known by other names, such as black mass, clinker polypore, birch canker polypore, cinder conk and the sterile conk trunk rot (of birch).
- Chaga produces a woody growth, or conk, which looks similar to a clump of burnt charcoal, roughly 25–38 centimeters in size. However, the inside reveals a soft core with an orange color.
- Traditionally, chaga was grated into a fine powder and brewed as an herbal tea. It is very popular in Russia and Northern-Europe.
Simple Chaga Tea Receipe:
- Add one teaspoon of organic chaga powder to a cup of boiling water.
- Allow it to steep for five minutes, and strain with a fine tea strainer.
- Enjoy it as is or if you don't like the taste add, add honey, which brings out its slight vanilla-like essence.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.