Organic Chocolate Chips 1000ct 70% (Certified Fairtrade)
Our organic chocolate chips 1000ct 70% are truly a godsend. The chocolate chips we sell have nothing to do with the one's found in your grocery store. These Peruvian chocolate chips have a nice dark color with 70% cocoa content.
What is the "Fairtrade" certification?
- When you see a product with that is Fairtrade certified, you can be sure it meets rigorous social, environmental, and economic standards. That means:
- Safe working conditions
- Environmental protection
- Sustainable livelihoods
- Community development funds
- Fairtrade certification measures progress made in the lives and communities of farmers and processors. That includes financial benefit to producers, stronger communities, improved livelihoods, and commitments made to the people in their supply chains.
- Chocolate and coffee are the 2 products that benefit the most from the fairtrade movement as working conditions in these sectors are harsh.
What does the 1000ct (1M) or 4000ct (4M) mean?
- The ''ct'' refers to how many chips are contained in one pound. The higher the number, the smaller the chips
- 1000ct chocolate chips are about 10mm in diameter. These are the standard chips found in grocery stores.
- 4000ct chocolate chips are about 6mm in diameter. These are the more rare mini chips found in grocery stores.
What does 38%, 55%, 70% and 100% mean?
- It refers to the cocoa content in the chocolate. For example 70% cocoa is 70% of its mass in ground up cocoa beans. Be careful with products listing ''70% cocoa content'' as these inferior products have much lower cocoa bean percentage. Their ''cocoa content'' is often jacked with cocoa powder. A premium chocolate typically has very little or no cocoa powder. Its cocoa is purely in the form of cocoa beans. This is why some cheap chocolate products and chips feel dry and crumbly, there is too much added cocoa powder.
- 100% cocoa as the name implies is pure ground up cocoa beans without any added sugar or fillers. This is made purely for making chocolate and recipes as it is extremely bitter.
- A higher ''%'' does not mean a higher quality, it is just the taste. Our 38% Belgian chocolate drops are very low in cocoa but taste like heaven.
What are the different chocolate shapes?
- With premium chocolate comes specialized chocolate depending on the intended use.
- Chocolate chips are intended for baking inside dough such as cookies, muffins, pancakes, etc. Chips dry out if melted in open air, as they were not designed to be melted.
- Chocolate wafers or drops are made to be melted into molds, bars, etc. Their shape make them easy to melt and their composition is designed for that purpose. If you want to try to make your own gourmet chocolate, these are the way to go.
- Chocolate couverture blocks are as the name implies blocks to be melted. You can always eat is as a giant chocolate bar, we won't judge. Some people genuinely like the texture of chunks. Couverture chocolate as the French word implies is formulated to cover things. This chocolate is what you want to use for chocolate fondue, chocolate covered fruits and nuts, etc. It is very malleable and wont crack even if is very thin over a product.
What is the difference between regular, semi-sweet and bittersweet?
- Regular is pretty straightforward meaning the sugar content and bitterness are what you would normally expect from a chocolate bar.
- Semi-sweet chocolate has sugar added, but less than what you would expect from regular chocolate. Our organic semi-sweet chocolate chips have 47% cocoa beans and 52.5% sugar.
- Bittersweet has even less sugar added and is commonly called ''Baker's Chocolate''. Our bittersweet chocolate have around 52.2% cocoa beans and 47.3% sugar.
- As you can see the differences between semi-sweet and bittersweet are marginal and can be used interchangeably in baking.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.