Organic Cinnamon (Cassia) Powder
Our organic cinnamon powder are a warm, fragrant spice favored in many fall and winter baked goods. Cassia cinnamon is the most commonly used cinnamon in the world.
Cinnamon is loaded with powerful antioxidants, such as polyphenols. In a study that compared the antioxidant activity of 26 spices, cinnamon wound up as the clear winner, even outranking "superfoods" like garlic and oregano. In fact, it is so powerful that cinnamon can be used as a natural food preservative.
How is cinnamon made?
- Cinnamon is made by cutting the stems of cinnamon trees scientifically known as Cinnamomum. The inner bark is then extracted and the woody parts removed.
- When it dries, it forms strips that curl into rolls, called cinnamon sticks. These sticks can be ground to make cinnamon powder.
- The distinct smell and flavor of cinnamon are due to the oily part, which is very high in the compound cinnamaldehyde
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.
We Also Recommend
Organic White Unbleached Sifted Wheat ''All-Purpose'' Flour