Organic Cocoa Powder 10-12% (5-6.2pH)
Our organic cocoa powder 10-12% (5-6.2pH) is pure cocoa powder. The 5-6.2pH range is what is referred to as natural cocoa powder without any additives. This is the most natural cocoa powder. It can be used for baking and drinks but is more acidic.
This organic cocoa powder is made by Bensdorp (Barry Callebault) which makes most of our premium chocolates. Their St-Hyacinthe, QC factory is state-of-the-art and being less than 30km from their factory guarantees you the freshest products.
10-12% refers to the fat content in the powder. Sometimes spelled simply 10/12 cocoa powder is referred to as ''Low Fat'' which is the most popular percentage. The other less common cocoa powders are 20/22 and 22/24 referred to as ''High Fat''.
What is cocoa powder?
- When cocoa pods are harvested from the trees, cocoa beans are removed from the pods, fermented, and dried. Then dried beans are roasted to develop the flavor and aroma of the cocoa. Roasted beans (cocoa nibs) are milled to create cocoa liquor, which is either conched to make chocolate products or pressed. Cocoa powder is the dry cocoa solids left after by pressing cocoa liquor to remove much of the cocoa butter.
- In simple terms it is the byproduct of cocoa paste which is the base for chocolate.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.
We Also Recommend
Organic White Unbleached Sifted Wheat ''All-Purpose'' Flour