Organic Cocoa Powder 14-16% (5-6pH)
Country of Origin:
Our organic cocoa powder 14-16% (5-6pH) is pure cocoa powder. The 5-6pH range is what is referred to as natural cocoa powder without any additives. This is the most natural cocoa powder. It can be used for baking and drinks but is more acidic.
14-16% refers to the fat content in the powder. Sometimes spelled simply 14/16 cocoa powder is referred to as "Mid Fat". The other less common cocoa powders are 20/22 and 22/24 referred to as "High Fat".
What is cocoa powder?
- When cocoa pods are harvested from the trees, cocoa beans are removed from the pods, fermented, and dried. Then dried beans are roasted to develop the flavor and aroma of the cocoa. Roasted beans (cocoa nibs) are milled to create cocoa liquor, which is either conched to make chocolate products or pressed. Cocoa powder is the dry cocoa solids left after by pressing cocoa liquor to remove much of the cocoa butter.
- In simple terms it is the byproduct of cocoa paste which is the base for chocolate.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.