Organic Ground Coriander
Country of Origin:
Our organic ground coriander Coriandrum sativum, also called cilantro or Chinese parsley, feathery annual plant of the parsley family "Apiaceae", parts of which are used as both an herb and a spice. Native to the Mediterranean and Middle East regions, the plant is widely cultivated in many places worldwide for its culinary uses. Its dry fruits and seeds, which are also known as coriander, are used to flavour many foods, particularly sausages, curries, Scandinavian pastries, liqueurs, and confectionery, such as English comfits. Its delicate young leaves, known as cilantro, are widely used in Latin American, Indian, and Chinese dishes.
Coriander has a floral flavor that brings a burst of citrus and a light sweetness. In many dishes, coriander is first toasted, which brings forth a deeper, nutty aroma. It is commonly mixed into sauces, and is often used as part of spice blends.
What do Coriander and Cilantro mean in different countries?
- While the UK and other European nations refer to both the spice and leafy herb as coriander, in Canada & the US the word cilantro is used for the herb. In India, the herb is referred to as "dhania" to distinguish the leaves from the coriander seeds.
- Although coriander and cilantro refer to different parts of the plant in Canada and the US, in Europe and other international locales there aren’t different names for the various aspects of the coriander plant.
In order to keep our organic herbs, spices & seasoning blends as fresh as possible we keep our standing inventory very low. There may be up to a 4 week lead time for this product to get you the freshest products possible.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.