Organic Corn Semolina
Our organic corn semolina also called cornmeal is made by ''La Milanaise'' in Quebec from organic whole grain corn. This gluten-free semolina is a great alternative to traditional durum wheat semolina.
This organic corn semolina is not maze, that is to say that it has not been treated with silt, it is not nixtamalised flour.
Cornmeal offers good amount of folic acid which is must for efficient use of protein and prevent the chances of birth defects. A serving size of cornmeal provides 10 percent of daily recommended intake. It also helps to get 8 percent of thiamine which is required for influencing nerves health. One serving of cornmeal helps to meet 4 percent of recommended value of riboflavin, iron and niacin. Iron supports production of red blood cells and niacin is beneficial for cardiovascular system.
Cornmeal prevents cellular damage caused by free radicals. It also lowers the chances of macular degeneration, cancer and heart diseases. Research have shown that cornmeal has high content of antioxidants such as carotenoids which prevents the chances of various diseases such as heart disease and cancer.
What is semolina?
- Semolina comes from the latin words ''simila'', meaning ''flour'' and the Italian word ''semola'', means bran. Traditionally the word refers to durum wheat semolina as corn semolina is most often called cornmeal.
- Semolina is simply coarser ground flour. It can be used on its own in recipes and is also commonly used as dusting.
- So when you are ready to take your bread making and pizza dough to the next level, grab some organic semolina to prevent your dough from sticking. Since semolina does not absorb water like flour does a little goes farther.
Locally grown in Canada, buying our organic corn semolina encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.
We Also Recommend
Organic White Unbleached Sifted Wheat ''All-Purpose'' Flour