Organic Dried "Sultana" Raisins
Our organic dried "Sultana" raisins are full of natural sugars and are a great choice to curb your sweet cravings without loading on extra calories. Boron, which is essential for bone formation is present in large quantities in raisins. Raisins are also packed with calcium which is required for bone strength.
From raisin bread, as a topping for oatmeal to trail mixes, our dried "sultana" raisins have so many uses. You can also soak them in water overnight to enhance their nutritional profile.
Did you know that is takes 4 times the amount of fresh grapes to make dried grapes?
What is the difference between Thompson, Sultana, Flame raisins and Zante currants?
- Both "Thompson" and "Sultana" raisins come from the same "Thompson Seedless" green grape variety.
- The difference between "Thompson" and "Sultana" raisins lies in how they are dried. "Thompson" raisins are sun dried without any additional processing. This takes up to 3 weeks and raises their cost. "Sultana" raisins are dipped in oil (organic vegetable oil or more typically organic olive oil) and laid out in the sun to dry. This greatly speeds up the drying process and prevents them from becoming dark like "Thompson" raisins. Their processing being more industrial they are less popular but equally delicious.
- Flame raisins come from red flame grapes. They are sweeter than green "Thompson Seedless" grapes. They are sun dried without any additional processing.
- Zante currants also known as "corinth raisins" are very small raisins (1/4 of the size of Thompson seedless). They are red when fresh and get a very dark black when dried. Their name comes from the island of Zakynthos (Zante) in Greece which first started commercially exporting them.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.
We Also Recommend
Organic White Unbleached Sifted Wheat ''All-Purpose'' Flour