Organic "Fleur de Sel" Dark Chocolate Bars 72% (Certified Fairtrade)
Country of Origin:
Our organic Fleur de sel 85% chocolate bars are made in Montreal (Quebec) by an artisan chocolatier with Fairtrade cocoa from Peru. These 100 gram (24 square) bars are what you would expect from premium artisan chocolate.
These organic chocolate bars are certified Fairtrade and the utmost care has been taken to handpick producers for a quality product while making sure the employees receive decent pay and quality services.
The organic cocoa mass comes from cooperatives in the Dominican Republic and the organic cocoa butter from cooperatives in Peru.
What is "Fleur de sel"?
- Also called "Flower of salt" or "flor de sal" it is produced by a complicated process. It involves collecting the thin layer of salt that rises to the surface of shallow pools of seawater along the coast of the Mediterranean sea and Atlantic ocean.
- Because it forms naturally under certain very limited weather conditions, and because it must be skimmed off by hand using special sieves, "fleur de sel" is, by any estimation, an extremely expensive product.
- Because it is so pure, there’s no bitterness. It melts slowly on the tongue and provides a delicious crunch as it enhances the flavor of the food. Chefs worldwide consider it to be the "crème de la crème" of salts.
What about the packaging?
- These organic Fairtrade chocolate bars are not individually wrapped. The bars are placed in a carboard box lined with food grape paper. A layer of food grade paper is also placed between the layers to prevent the bars from sticking to each other.
- This zero waste packaging is 100% biodegradable and recyclable. This packaging method has saved thousands of tons of wrapping material that would have ended up in landfills.
What does Fairtrade certification mean?
- Fairtrade products are far more than just fair prices, they create sustainable impact in three interconnected areas: economic, social, and environmental. These are known as the three pillars of sustainability:
- Economic: Fairtrade sets economic Standards for farmers and workers to benefit from income security and financial independence. These include the Fairtrade Minimum Price for most commodities, which aims to provide producers with a safety net against falling prices, along with the Fairtrade Premium that provides producers with additional money to invest as they choose. Fairtrade also emphasizes long-term partnerships that help yield sustainable and decent livelihoods.
- Environmental: Environmental criteria emphasize ecologically and agriculturally sound practices, including responsible water and waste management, preserving biodiversity and soil fertility, minimal use of pesticides, and the prohibition of the use of GMOs. Organic production is promoted and rewarded by higher Fairtrade Minimum Prices for organically grown products.
- Social: Social criteria for small-scale producers include requirements on democratic self-organization, participatory decision-making, transparency, and non-discrimination. For hired labour, our Standards require non-discriminatory employment practices, fair pay, freedom of association, and safeguards for worker health and safety. Forced labour and child labour are prohibited under the Fairtrade Standards.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.