Organic Greek Mountain Oregano
Country of Origin:
Our organic greek mountain oregano is rich in essential oils renowned for their antibacterial and antifungal properties. Its fine and full flavour make it truly a unique herb.
Packaged in a convenient 56 gram box for maximum freshess.
What is oregano?
- Oregano is a familiar herb that many people know from dishes such as pizza and pasta sauce.
- The plant has tiny leaves that lend a pungent aroma and strong flavor to a variety of savory foods. When in bloom, the plant sports pink or purple flowers, which are also edible. As an herb, it is gluten-free and suitable for vegan and paleo diets.
- Common oregano is botanically known as Origanum vulgare, Greek for "joy of the mountains." It can be found growing wild on mountainsides of Greece and other Mediterranean countries where it is a herb of choice. It was relatively unused in America until returning World War II soldiers heightened the popularity of pizza. In fact, sales of oregano increased by 5,200 percent between 1948 and 1956 due to pizza mania.
- Unlike some other herbs, dried oregano can be added early in the cooking process for sauces and stews as its flavors will stand up to cooking.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.