Organic Green Lentils
Our organic green lentils are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. Not only do lentils help lower cholesterol, they help managing blood-sugar disorders since their high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal.
Green lentils do not require any soaking and can be cooked right away. A 3/4 cup of cooked lentils provides more potassium than a large banana along with 13 grams of protein. Lentils also contain more folate than any other plant food.
What is the difference between our regular green lentils and the gluten-free version?
- To start all lentils are gluten-free. The difference between all the forms of lentils that we sell and the green lentils (Gluten-Free) is simply the extra level of precautions from cross-contamination. Unless you are extremely intolerant to gluten you will never notice the difference.
- That is because although lentils themselves don't contain gluten, they're often grown alongside other crops. The same equipment is typically used to harvest crops in neighboring fields, which leads a possibility of cross-contamination if one of those crops contains gluten.
- The gluten-free version is grown in isolated fields and the harvesting equipment is dedicated to those crops making for a much more expensive product in exchange for the guarantee of no cross contamination.
Locally grown in Canada, buying our organic green lentils encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.
We Also Recommend
Love this service
Bulk organics online - wow what a service. We are going to be a long term customer.
Fresh and Wholesome
These lentils cook up very tender. I prefer to soak a few hours before pressure cooking for 15 to 20 minutes. Pre-soaking allows the sprouting to start, providing greater nutrition. They are also delicious fully sprouted, and then parboiled for a couple of minutes, and served with a lemon juice, olive oil and tamari or soy sauce dressing. I had greatly reduced my legume intake, as organic legumes were difficult to procure and the glyphosate dessication made them hard and difficult to digest. Sooo pleased to have found an organic supplier. I will definitely go back to eating plenty of legumes from now on. I only wish they would also sell white kidney beans, as these are my favourite legumes after lentils.