Organic Green Lentils (Gluten-Free)
Our organic green lentils (Gluten-Free) are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. Not only do lentils help lower cholesterol, they help managing blood-sugar disorders since their high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal.
Green lentils do not require any soaking and can be cooked right away. A 3/4 cup of cooked lentils provides more potassium than a large banana along with 13 grams of protein. Lentils also contain more folate than any other plant food.
What is the difference between our regular green lentils and the gluten-free version?
- To start all lentils are gluten-free. The difference between all the forms of lentils that we sell and the green lentils (Gluten-Free) is simply the extra level of precautions from cross-contamination. Unless you are extremely intolerant to gluten you will never notice the difference.
- That is because although lentils themselves don't contain gluten, they're often grown alongside other crops. The same equipment is typically used to harvest crops in neighboring fields, which leads a possibility of cross-contamination if one of those crops contains gluten.
- The gluten-free version is grown in isolated fields and the harvesting equipment is dedicated to those crops making for a much more expensive product in exchange for the guarantee of no cross contamination.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.