Organic Hulled Spelt
Our organic hulled spelt also known as ''dinkel wheat'' or ''hulled wheat'', is a species of wheat that has been cultivated since approximately 5000 BC.
Spelt was introduced to north America in the 1890s. In the 20th century, spelt was replaced by bread wheat in almost all areas where it was still grown. The organic farming movement revived its popularity somewhat toward the end of the century, as spelt requires less fertilizer. Since the beginning of the 21st century, spelt has become a common wheat substitute for making artisanal loaves of bread, kinds of pasta, and flakes.
Hulled spelt has just the inedible hull removed and is a whole grain. Whole grains have the 3 parts of the grain; The bran, endosperm and germ.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.
We Also Recommend
Organic White Unbleached Sifted Wheat ''All-Purpose'' Flour