Organic Kale Powder
Country of Origin:
Our organic kale powder is loaded with antioxidants like beta-carotene, vitamin C, quercetin and kaempferol. It is also a top source of many other nutrients and phytochemicals, including chlorophyll, glucosinolates, which are pre-cursors to cancer-fighting isothiocyanates and vitamin K. When kale leaves are dried to make powder, the water content of the leaves is drastically reduced, which makes dried kale leaves an extremely concentrated source of nutrients.
Removing moisture from kale concentrates the amount of pesticides in the food. While that may not be a big problem for vegetables that also grow well without unnatural fertilizers and pesticides, kale is not one of them. Every year, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) tests common vegetables and fruits for pesticide levels and the Environmental Working Group publishes a list of fruits and vegetables that contain the highest levels of pesticides when conventionally (i.e. not organically) grown. For several years, non-organic kale has had a spot on this notorious list, which highlights the importance of buying organic as far as kale is concerned.
Organic kale powder can be added to smoothies, sauces, dips, salad dressings, pureed soups and also to add color and nutrients to omelets and scrambled eggs.
What is Kale?
- Kale is a cruciferous vegetable from the mustard family, which includes vegetables like broccoli and Brussels sprouts, but it's most closely related to cabbage. Like cabbage, its leaves are very tough and, while it's growing, it can stand up to extreme temperatures hot and cold.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.