Organic Large Wild Rice
Our organic Canadian large wild rice is a naturally grown aquatic grass seed, not a farm crop. Unlike much of the Wild Rice in grocery stores, true natural Wild Rice is not genetically modified and grows without the use of fertilizers or pesticides.
Canadian large wild rice is all together a different plant than American wild rice. In fact, the long, spindly needles are more related to wild grass than rice. Canadians have dubbed their special grain Canadian Lake Wild rice, a beautiful and apt description of the rice’s growing environment, where the grains billow above the waters.
Canadian large wild rice can contain as much as 30 times the antioxidants as white rice! Antioxidants are powerful substances that prevent cell damage caused by oxidants, protecting your body from disease and helping you age healthfully.
To achieve a rich, dark hue and delicious nutty flavor, our large wild rice is slow roasted to achieve the finest final product.
What is the difference between brown and white rice?
- Brown rice is a whole grain. That means it contains all parts of the grain, including the fibrous bran, the nutritious germ and the carb-rich endosperm.
- White rice, on the other hand, has had the bran and germ removed, which are the most nutritious parts of the grain.
What are the different types of rice?
- White Arborio Rice is named after the commune of Arborio in the northwestern Italian region of Piedmont. Arborio rice is very starchy and has short, almost oval grains. It is the base of any good risotto.
- Red Rice (Grown on Soil) is cultivated Pakistan on dry soil. This growing technique is very original. Other than that it is very similar to Red Cargo Rice.
- Jasmine Rice is a long-grain rice type. It has slightly rounded ends and is a bit translucent. Jasmine rice has a nice floral aroma. When cooked it is compared to a sweet popcorn-like aroma. When cooked jasmine rice clumps together making it more moist and sticky.
- Basmati Rice is also considered to be long-grain rice, it might be called extra-long, as the grains are longer, slenderer and the ends are much sharper. Basmati means "full of aroma" in Hindi. It smells more nutty than jasmine. Basmati rice gets two times bigger in size once cooked. The grains stay separated, dry and fluffy.
- Red Cargo Rice is similar to brown rice as it is whole with only the inedible hull removed. Red cargo rice has a nutty flavor, along with a higher nutritional value than white rice varieties. The red bran layer contains 95% of the minerals and dietary fiber of the whole rice which contains Iron, Zinc Potassium Sodium, Manganese and so forth.
- Long Brown Rice is a whole long grain type rice. It is less sticky than shorter grain rice varieties and keeps its shape and texture when cooked.
- Wild Large Rice is a very unique type of rice. This Canadian rice is the longest grain rice available. It is very high in protein and its nutrition profile is incomparable to any other rice varieties. It has been consumed by aboriginals in North America for thousands of years. This rice is roasted to enhance its rich nutty flavor.
Locally grown in Canada, buying our organic large wild rice encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.
We Also Recommend
Organic White Unbleached Sifted Wheat ''All-Purpose'' Flour