Organic Long Brown Rice
Our organic long brown rice is a whole grain, meaning that it contains three parts of the grain kernel: the outer, fiber-filled layer called the bran, the nutrient-rich core called the germ, and the starchy middle layer called the endosperm.
Long brown rice is a highly nutritious food. It is a whole grain that is relatively low in calories, high in fiber, gluten-free and can be incorporated into a variety of dishes. Long brown rice contains no trans-fat or cholesterol. It has only trace amounts of fat and sodium.
What is the difference between brown and white rice?
- Brown rice is a whole grain. That means it contains all parts of the grain, including the fibrous bran, the nutritious germ and the carb-rich endosperm.
- White rice, on the other hand, has had the bran and germ removed, which are the most nutritious parts of the grain.
What are the different types of rice?
- White Arborio Rice is named after the commune of Arborio in the northwestern Italian region of Piedmont. Arborio rice is very starchy and has short, almost oval grains. It is the base of any good risotto.
- Red Rice (Grown on Soil) is cultivated Pakistan on dry soil. This growing technique is very original. Other than that it is very similar to Red Cargo Rice.
- Jasmine Rice is a long-grain rice type. It has slightly rounded ends and is a bit translucent. Jasmine rice has a nice floral aroma. When cooked it is compared to a sweet popcorn-like aroma. When cooked jasmine rice clumps together making it more moist and sticky.
- Basmati Rice is also considered to be long-grain rice, it might be called extra-long, as the grains are longer, slenderer and the ends are much sharper. Basmati means "full of aroma" in Hindi. It smells more nutty than jasmine. Basmati rice gets two times bigger in size once cooked. The grains stay separated, dry and fluffy.
- Red Cargo Rice is similar to brown rice as it is whole with only the inedible hull removed. Red cargo rice has a nutty flavor, along with a higher nutritional value than white rice varieties. The red bran layer contains 95% of the minerals and dietary fiber of the whole rice which contains Iron, Zinc Potassium Sodium, Manganese and so forth.
- Long Brown Rice is a whole long grain type rice. It is less sticky than shorter grain rice varieties and keeps its shape and texture when cooked.
- Wild Large Rice is a very unique type of rice. This Canadian rice is the longest grain rice available. It is very high in protein and its nutrition profile is incomparable to any other rice varieties. It has been consumed by aboriginals in North America for thousands of years. This rice is roasted to enhance its rich nutty flavor.