Organic Lucuma Powder (Natural Sweetener)
Country of Origin:
Our organic lucuma powder is used as a healthier alternative to table sugar and other popular sweeteners. Lucuma powder contains less sugar but more nutrients than table sugar. More specifically, it has about half the carbs and 75% less sugar than the same amount of table sugar. Lucuma powder is low in sugar yet relatively rich in fiber. It also contains smaller amounts of other nutrients, including calcium and iron.
Lucuma is rich in antioxidants, such as carotenoids and polyphenols, which may offer protection against various conditions, including diabetes and heart disease. It is also rich in complex carbs and fiber and may reduce your body's ability to absorb simple sugars. This may help prevent blood sugar spikes and regulate blood sugar levels, though research in this area is limited.
What is lucuma?
- The lucuma fruit (also called lucmo or eggfruit) grows on the lucumo tree "Pouteria lucuma", which is native to South America. Known as the "gold of the Incas," the fruit is cultivated in Chile, Ecuador, and Peru. It has soft yellow pulp, a dry texture, and hard green outer shell with an appearance somewhere between an avocado and a mango.
- While lucuma fruit is widely available in South America, it can also be found in fresh, frozen, or pulp form in Latin food markets. Elsewhere, lucuma powder (or flour) is mostly only found online of in specialty stores. The powder is made by dehydrating the fruit, then milling it into a fine powder, a process designed to retain the fruit's high nutritional value. It can be used right out of the package and stirred into food and drinks.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.