Organic Maple Sugar (Granulated)
Country of Origin:
Our organic maple sugar is made from 100% pure first quality organic maple syrup. Give a sophisticated touch to all your recipes by replacing white sugar with our maple sugar. Using maple sugar to garnish or decorate your cakes and pastries will give them an incomparable flavor.
What is organic maple syrup?
- You are not alone, while most organic products are pretty easy to understand, organic maple syrup is more complex. There are no GMO maple trees and fertilizing the forest does not sound very practical, so what why buy organic?
- Some people might argue that all maple syrup is organic and this is just a certification gimmick to raise prices. In reality organic maple syrup standards are more about eco-responsibility and sustainability.
- Organic maple syrup producers must ensure the presence of 15% companion species, which means at least 15% of the trees in their woodlot must not be maple. Organic maple syrup producers must also keep maps of all their sites, as well as buffers if they are close to farmland or Christmas tree lots using prohibited materials such as pesticides.
- Organic maple syrup producers are not allowed to cut undergrowth, and their fertilizer use is limited to the occasional use of wood ash or lime. Tubing to collect maple syrup must be installed with protectors to avoid damaging maple trees.
- There are limitations to the size of maple trees that organic maple syrup producers can tap, the trees must have a diameter larger than 20cm at chest height in order to be tapped.
- The only disinfectant allowed, which ensures there are no bacteria in the tap hole when the tree is tapped, for organic maple syrup producers is food grade ethyl alcohol. This alcohol evaporates completely leaving no residue.
- Maple syrup producers normally use a reverse osmosis system to process sap before boiling. This cuts down on labor as well as fuel costs. Organic maple syrup producers must ensure that no mineral components of sap are removed during this process. This is generally achieved through the limitation of concentration of the maple sap.
- To conclude, organic maple syrup is a sustainable product with strict documentation and inspection regulations. With organic maple syrup you get the maximum nutrients and guarantee maple syrup for generations to come.
Made in Canada, buying our organic maple sugar encourages local producers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.