Organic Mesquite Powder (Natural Sweetener)
Our organic mesquite powder has the ability to balance blood sugar, making it a great option for diabetics. The sugar present in mesquite is fructose, which does not require insulin for metabolism. This helps maintain a steady blood sugar level for a sustained period of time. The glycemic index of mesquite is 25 (much lower than regular sugar) with a high percentage of dietary fiber. These factors allow it to digest much slower than many grains, preventing drastic spikes and dips in blood sugar.
Substitute mesquite powder for up to half of the regular flour in recipes, reducing (or eliminating) other sweeteners in the recipe based on personal preference. Starting out with a ratio of 25-30% mesquite flour is recommended. Mesquite can also be used in sauces and beverages in the same manner. It's excellent in stews and soups, or to sweeten tea, coffee and smoothies. Perfect for raw food recipes as well.
What is mesquite?
- Mesquite powder is made from the leguminous seed pods of the drought-tolerant mesquite plant, also known as algarrobo or algarroba. It can be used as a flour or a sweetener, and it has a sort of caramely, nutty flavor.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.