Organic Oat Groats
Our organic oat groats contains potassium, calcium, magnesium, several different B-vitamins and vitamin E. Additionally, oats have trace minerals, such as manganese, copper, iron, selenium and zinc. They are also full of phytochemicals, which are good for you, and contain both insoluble and soluble fiber.
Do to all of these "good-for-you" ingredients, oat groats offer quite a few health benefits. They can lower your blood pressure, and even help to prevent the onset of diabetes, which used with a whole-grain diet.
Oat groats are simply the purest form of the oats grain. With just the inedible grain shell removed and no further mechanical processing it doesn't get better than that!
Are your organic oat groats sproutable?
- We have honestly never tried to sprout them. However, all food grade (for humans that is) oat groats are stabilized (quickly steamed) to deactivate lipolitic enzymes. Lipolitic enzymes make oats smell rancid and greatly limits shelf life.
- If you want to sprout your oats you need to look for raw oat groats. While they are very rare due to their limited shelf life and single purpose (to be sprouted) they do exist.
What is the difference between your Rolled Oats Flakes, Rolled Oats Flakes (Gluten-Free), Oat Bran, Oat Groats, & Steel Cut Oats?
- To start all Oats are gluten-free. The difference between all the forms of oats that we sell and the Rolled Oats (Gluten Free) is simple the extra level of precautions from cross-contamination. Unless you are extremely intolerant to gluten you will never notice the difference. That is because although oats themselves don't contain gluten, they're often grown alongside other crops. The same equipment is typically used to harvest crops in neighboring fields, which leads a possibility of cross-contamination if one of those crops contains gluten.
- The difference between steel cut oats and rolled oats lies in the manufacturing process. Steel cut oats are created when a full oat groat is sliced into pieces with steel. In contrast, rolled oats are flattened using large disks. This causes the oat to become flaky and soft, allowing them to absorb more liquid.
- Oat groats are simply a whole oat grain just like steel cut oats and rolled oats. It is just not cut or rolled and is whole.
- Oat bran is a piece of an oat groat, and oat bran is the outer layer of this oat groat, which is right underneath the inedible grain shell. It is very fibrous and ideal to add fiber to your diet.
Locally grown in Canada, buying our organic oat groats encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.