Organic Oregano Powder
Our organic powder (ground oregano) is a classic seasoning for Italian cooking. It goes very well on pizza, in pasta dishes or stews with or without meat. The aroma of oregano has a camphor note. The taste is pungent and described as earthy and green with some mint and hay. It can be slightly bitter.
Oregano is a herb from the mint, or Lamiaceae family. People have used it for thousands of years to add flavor to dishes and to treat health conditions. It is an important herb in the Mediterranean diet.
The Greeks and Romans associated oregano with joy and happiness. The name comes from the Greek words "oros" (mountain), and "ganos" (joy).
Oregano or Marjoram?
- Oregano is easily confused with its close relative, marjoram. In the Mediterranean, oregano is also known as wild marjoram, but that doesn't mean it is marjoram. Marjoram's botanical name is "Origanum majorana", so it is the same genus as oregano but it is a different species. Marjoram's gentler flavor is sweeter than oregano, which is slightly woodsy with a warm and aromatic taste. And marjoram's aroma is not quite as pungent as oregano's.
- To add more confusion to the mix, they look very much alike. Marjoram has leaves which are slightly hairy and more gray-green in color, while oregano has olive-green colored leaves, but overall they have similar appearances.
In order to keep our organic herbs, spices & seasoning blends as fresh as possible we keep our standing inventory very low. There may be up to a 4 week lead time for this product to get you the freshest products possible.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.