Organic Pearled Barley Flakes
Our organic pearled barley flakes contain many important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. What's more, it's a good source of beta-glucan, a fiber which may help lower cholesterol and blood sugar.
Barley is a cereal grain that people can use in bread, beverages, stews, and other dishes. Barley provides fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
Barley is the seed of a type of grass that grows in temperate climates throughout the world and one of the first grains to have been farmed by ancient civilizations. In fact, archeological evidence suggests that barley was grown in Egypt over 10,000 years ago.
What is the difference between barley flakes and pearled barley flakes?
- Barley flakes are made with hulled barley which undergoes minimal processing to remove only the inedible outer shell, leaving the bran and germ intact.
- Pearled barley flakes has neither the hull nor the bran making it more soft and neutral tasting but this process strips some of the nutrients.
Locally grown in Canada, buying our organic pearled barley flakes encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.