Organic Pitted "Aseel" Dates
Our organic dried pitted "Aseel" dates have an excellent nutrition profile. The calorie content of dates is similar to that of other dried fruits, such as raisins and figs. Most of the calories in dates come from carbs. The rest are from a very small amount of protein. Despite their calories, dates contain some important vitamins and minerals in addition to a significant amount of fiber.
We prefer the "Aseel" variety over the traditional "Medjool" variety as they have a longer shelf life and are more nutrient rich.
Dates provide various antioxidants that have a number of health benefits to offer, including a reduced risk of several diseases. Antioxidants protect your cells from free radicals, which are unstable molecules that may cause harmful reactions in your body and lead to disease. Compared to similar types of fruit, such as figs and dried plums, dates appear to have the highest antioxidant content.
What is the difference between "Aseel", "Deglet Noor" and "Medjool" Dates?
- "Aseel" dates are the super kind of dates from Pakistan in terms of sweetness and have longer shelf life than "Medjool" and "Deglet Noor" dates. Their taste is more neutral than the other 2 varieties and they are close in sweetness with the "Deglet Noor" dates. Chopped or pureed "Aseel" dates add sweetness to a multitude snacks and deserts. Some people find them a little dry for snacking and if you prefer a more moist date, "Deglet Noor" dates will be better for you. These are the most affordable variety we stock and are ideal for cooking.
- "Deglet Noor" dates boast a nice amber color and a chewier and much drier, firmer texture than "Medjool" dates, and keep a little longer. Their taste is similar to honey. They has a very nutty finish taste and less sweet than "Medjool" dates. They hold their texture well when cooked. A great all-purpose date. They are in the middle of the price range.
- "Medjool" dates are the largest dates you will commonly find. "Medjool" dates have a rich, almost caramel-like taste and a soft, chewy texture. They are not ideal for cooking because they are so moist and can be a little more difficult to cut uniformly. They are also the most expensive of the three and since they still contain the pit, using them for anything other than snacking is going to be labor intensive.
NOTICE: These dates are ideal for cooking as some might find them a little dry for snacking. For snacking check out our "Deglet Noor" variety!
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.
We Also Recommend
Please no extra bubble wrap. The dates are already into a plastic bag, into a solid box, into a solid shipping box. No need for extra bubble wrap!
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. It is our mission to leave the earth better than we found it, and we know that this includes our packaging too. That's why, we have been recently testing a variety of plant-based/biodegradable plastics, but have yet to find a suitable materials that is able to keep our food fresh over the course of its shelf- life. We will keep testing these bio-based materials as they continue to be developed, and hope to find a solution soon! In the meantime, we offer many of our products in bulk that mostly comes in paper bags and they are eco-friendly as well. Sincerely, OnlineOrganics