Organic Purple Corn Powder
Country of Origin:
Our organic purple corn powder offers phytonutrients, phenolic acids, and flavonoids. It has been shown to exhibit anti-inflammatory properties and is studied for its ability to help prevent obesity. Deep blue, red, and purple hued produce gets it colors from water soluble pigments known as anthocyanins. These anthocyanins act as antioxidants in the body with Purple corn offering one of the highest anthocyanin levels found in fruits and vegetables. Purple corn is most abundant in the anthocyanin C3G or cyanidin-3-glucoside which is the most common anthocyanin found in nature and is being studied for its superior antioxidant capacity.
Purple corn powder can be incorporated into flour mixes to make colorful pancakes, delicious tortillas, pizza crust, gluten-free pasta, or added to protein powders, smoothies, and is a great addition to add color to your dishes!
What is purple corn?
- Purple corn botanically is known as part of "Zea mays" along with conventional yellow and white corn. Also known as "maize Morado", in the culinary world it is beloved for its vibrant purple coloring and used both in its fresh corn form as well as milked or pureed for its natural, purple coloring properties.
- Purple corn was once a sacred crop to the ancient Incan civilizations. Now hundreds of years later, it is grown commercially in its native land of Peru. Historically it was valued for its use as a natural colorant for foods and beverages as well as for its role in making a popular drink called "chicha morada".
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.