Organic Raw Carob Powder
Country of Origin:
Our organic raw carob powder is dried, very lightly roasted carob tree pods. Carob powder is often used as a natural sweetener in baked goods. It's sweet and has a unique taste. Often, no added sugar is needed when baking with carob as opposed to cocoa.
Carob powder contains no fat, no sodium, is high in fiber and gluten-free. It also contains no caffeine as opposed to cocoa so if you are especially sensitive to caffeine you can rest easy after eating carob.
What is Carob?
- The carob is a flowering evergreen tree "Ceratonia siliqua" or shrub in the Caesalpinioideae sub-family of the legume family, Fabaceae. It is widely cultivated for its edible pods, and as an ornamental tree in gardens and landscapes.
- It is native to the Mediterranean region and the Middle East. Portugal is the largest producer of carob, followed by Italy and Morocco.
Raw vs Roasted Carob?
- Raw Carob either completely unheated or heated to about 200°F. Has a color varring from very light to light brown. It has the most nutrients and a slight sweet taste.
- Roasted Carob roasted up to 400°F and has a dark brown color. It looses a bit of nutrition from roasting but gets the taste you would expect from carob as a replacement for cocoa. Roasted carob powder is the most common form of carob.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.