Organic Raw Shelled Pistachios (Kernels)
Shipping calculated at checkout.
Our organic raw shelled pistachios or pistacio kernels are one of the lowest calorie nuts, which means people can enjoy the health benefits of nuts while more easily staying within their daily calorie limits. Pistachios are a great source of healthy fats, fiber, protein, antioxidants, and various nutrients, including vitamin B6 and thiamine.
What are Pistachios?
- Pistachio may refer to any one of several tree species of the Pistacia genus, which is part of the same family as cashews, mango, and poison ivy. Still, Pistacia vera is the only tree that produces edible fruits, which are commonly known as pistachios.
- The pistachio is native to Western Asia and the Middle East, and evidence indicates that fruits of the tree have been eaten for over 8,000 years.
- Pistachio trees grow in dry climates and can reach up to 39 feet (12 meters) in height. In the spring, the trees develop grape-like clusters of green colored fruits, known as drupes, which gradually harden and turn red.
- Within the fruit is a green and purple seed, which is the edible part of the fruit. As the fruits ripen, the shell hardens and splits open with a pop, exposing the seed within. The fruits are picked, hulled, dried, and often roasted before being sold.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.