Organic ''Sencha'' Premium Green Tea
Country of Origin:
Our organic ''Sencha'' premium green tea green tea is made from non-fermented whole green tea leaves. This is a premium green tea from Japan. Almost 60% of all tea produced in Japan is sencha and most of it never leaves the country. It contains moderate amounts of caffeine and makes a great daily green tea.
What is Sencha green tea?
- Sencha is a steamed green tea made from small-leaf "camellia sinensis". Japanese sencha has a refreshing flavor that can be described as vegetal, green, seaweedy, or grassy.
- After picking, the processing of sencha green tea starts with a quick steam of the fresh tea leaves, preventing oxidization and locking in the green color and flavor. The leaves are then rolled, shaped, and dried.
How to Drink Sencha
- "Senchadō" is the traditional Japanese way of brewing and serving sencha green tea, and it involves a number of special tools and dishes. Entire rooms and buildings (tea halls) are dedicated to the art of tea brewing and drinking.
- For a proper simplified everyday brewing, you will need a Japanese teapot "kyusu", small sencha cups and a kettle. Kyusu teapots have a fine mesh or ceramic strainers suitable for brewing sencha tea. The good news is, you won't need a strainer or any additional utensils. It pays to invest in a good kyusu teapot, as you will be able to use it for almost any type of tea.
- Infusing for too long (over 2 minutes) and/or at too high of a temperature (over 170 F) can give sencha tea a bitter flavor, overshadowing its fresh qualities.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.