Organic White Durum Wheat Semolina
Our organic white durum wheat semolina is made by ''La Milanaise'' in Quebec from organic whole durum wheat. This semolina is sifted to remove the bran. It is ideal for sprinkling on pizza and bread dough.
Durum wheat, also called pasta wheat or macaroni wheat is the second most cultivated species of wheat after common wheat. Durum in Latin means "hard", and the species is the hardest of all wheats. This refers to the resistance of the grain to milling, in particular of the starchy endosperm, implying dough made from its flour is weak or "soft". This makes durum favorable for semolina and pasta flour.
Semolina is the base to make couscous as well as numerous other middle-eastern meals. In Italy semolina is used for making a type of gnocchi called "Gnocchi alla Romana", where semolina is mixed with milk, cheese and butter to form a log, then cut in discs and baked with cheese and bechamel.
What is semolina?
- Semolina comes from the latin words ''simila'', meaning ''flour'' and the Italian word ''semola'', means bran. Traditionally the word refers to durum wheat semolina as corn semolina is most often called cornmeal.
- Semolina is simply coarser ground flour. It can be used on its own in recipes and is also commonly used as dusting.
- So when you are ready to take your bread making and pizza dough to the next level, grab some organic semolina to prevent your dough from sticking. Since semolina does not absorb water like flour does a little goes farther.
Locally grown in Canada, buying our organic white durum wheat semolina encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.