Organic White Unbleached Khorasan Flour
Our organic white unbleached khorasan flour is made by ''La Milanaise'' in Quebec from organic khorasan wheat. Its gluten, which is different from wheat’s gluten, makes it great for baking.
What makes organic khorasan flour so special? Its light orange color and its butter and hazelnut taste, almost sweet, but without bitterness. Khorasan wheat contains 20-40% more protein than conventional wheat. It also contains fiber, iron, zinc, vitamins B2, B3 and E, phosphorus and magnesium.
This organic flour can be used to make: baguettes, breads, cakes, cookies, muffins, pancakes, pasta and pie crusts.
Did you know?
- Khorasan wheat is often called Kamut. Kamut is simply the most commercially popular brand of Khorasan wheat across the world. The brand became so popular that most people know Khorasan wheat as just Kamut.
What is the difference between beached and unbleached flour?
- When flour is first milled, it has a yellowish cast that some consumers find unappealing. Within a few months of milling, however, these carotenoids, or pigments, in flour naturally whiten. Because it is expensive to naturally ''age'' flour, some producers expedite the process chemically.
- In ''bleached'' flours, benzoyl peroxide is most commonly used to fade the yellow color. Organic standards prohibit the use of chemicals so none of our organic flours are bleached.
- Cost is the only reason that pushes most commercial bakers to prefer bleached flours.
What is the difference between white unbleached and sifted unbleached flour?
- Before the grains are milled into flour, white unbleached flour has the bran and germ removed.
- Unbleached sifted white flour is milled whole just like whole brown flour. After milling it goes through a sifter that sifts out some of the bran. The result is a flour in between white and brown. It is healthier than white unbleached flour but still has a higher gluten content that whole flour making it a perfect balance for most bakery needs.
Locally grown in Canada, buying our organic white unbleached khorasan flour encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.
We Also Recommend
Organic White Unbleached Sifted Wheat ''All-Purpose'' Flour