Organic White Unbleached Sifted Wheat Flour for Pizza (Tipo ''00'')
Our organic white unbleached sifted wheat flour for pizza (Tipo ''00'') is made by ''La Milanaise'' in Quebec from organic wheat. This flour is highly specialized to make pizza dough and unequaled.
To obtain organic Tipo ''00'' pizza flour, we first start with a rigorous wheat varietal selection process. The best varieties of organic wheat favoring the extensibility of the dough are selected. These varieties are crushed to obtain a flour that is extracted from the heart of the wheat kernel. It is a flour that has the characteristic of offering much more flexibility to the dough. Then, the organic Tipo 00 flour is sifted to remove the bran in order to obtain a white flour. Tipo ''00'' pizza flour does not undergo by any bleaching treatment. This sifted flour is sifted differently than our other sifted flours. It is not a whole flour sifted to remove some of the bran but instead an unbleached white flour sifted to make it very fine.
Our organic Tipo ''00'' pizza flour is perfect for Italian pizza lovers who enjoy long fermentation process. It give a nice crust and a well structured crumb. It is enriched to maximize its profile. The number ''00'' comes from the classification of the flour according to its ash content, its a way to classified the whiteness of the flour.
What is the difference between beached and unbleached flour?
- When flour is first milled, it has a yellowish cast that some consumers find unappealing. Within a few months of milling, however, these carotenoids, or pigments, in flour naturally whiten. Because it is expensive to naturally ''age'' flour, some producers expedite the process chemically.
- In ''bleached'' flours, benzoyl peroxide is most commonly used to fade the yellow color. Organic standards prohibit the use of chemicals so none of our organic flours are bleached.
- Cost is the only reason that pushes most commercial bakers to prefer bleached flours.
What is the difference between white unbleached and sifted unbleached flour?
- Before the grains are milled into flour, white unbleached flour has the bran and germ removed.
- Unbleached sifted white flour is milled whole just like whole brown flour. After milling it goes through a sifter that sifts out some of the bran. The result is a flour in between white and brown. It is healthier than white unbleached flour but still has a higher gluten content that whole flour making it a perfect balance for most bakery needs.
Locally grown in Canada, buying our organic white unbleached pizza flour encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.
We Also Recommend
Organic White Unbleached Sifted Wheat ''All-Purpose'' Flour