Organic White Unbleached Spelt Flour
Our organic white unbleached spelt flour is made by ''La Milanaise'' in Quebec from organic spelt. Spelt is a variety of ancient grain that has a rich flavor. This flour is very versatile you can used it to make most of your bakery products.
It is an excellent source of carbohydrates and dietary fiber. It is particularly rich in iron, magnesium, phosphorous, zinc, and niacin (vitamin B-3). Spelt has a mild, nutty flavor, is a popular alternative to conventional wheat flour. Spelt is an ancient grain that is a subspecies of wheat. Spelt and wheat are similar in terms of appearance, but spelt has a stronger husk and slightly different nutritional content.
This organic flour can be used to make: baguettes, breads, cakes, cookies, muffins, pancakes, pasta, pie crusts and waffles.
What is the difference between beached and unbleached flour?
- When flour is first milled, it has a yellowish cast that some consumers find unappealing. Within a few months of milling, however, these carotenoids, or pigments, in flour naturally whiten. Because it is expensive to naturally ''age'' flour, some producers expedite the process chemically.
- In ''bleached'' flours, benzoyl peroxide is most commonly used to fade the yellow color. Organic standards are very strict for bleached flours to only use minimal bleaching agents and the safest.
- Cost is the only reason that pushes most commercial bakers to prefer bleached flours.
- Here most of our organic flours are unbleached. All our unbleached flours are clearly marked in the description.
Locally grown in Canada, buying our organic white unbleached spelt flour encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.