Organic White Unbleached Wheat Sutton Flour
Our organic white unbleached Sutton flour is made by ''La Milanaise'' in Quebec from organic wheat. This flour has a high protein content of about 13.5% and is sifted to remove all of the bran. This flour is enriched to maximize its profile.
This organic flour can be used to make: baguettes, breads and croissants.
What is the difference between beached and unbleached flour?
- When flour is first milled, it has a yellowish cast that some consumers find unappealing. Within a few months of milling, however, these carotenoids, or pigments, in flour naturally whiten. Because it is expensive to naturally ''age'' flour, some producers expedite the process chemically.
- In ''bleached'' flours, benzoyl peroxide is most commonly used to fade the yellow color. Organic standards prohibit the use of chemicals so none of our organic flours are bleached.
- Cost is the only reason that pushes most commercial bakers to prefer bleached flours.
What is the difference between white unbleached and sifted unbleached flour?
- Before the grains are milled into flour, white unbleached flour has the bran and germ removed.
- Unbleached sifted white flour is milled whole just like whole brown flour. After milling it goes through a sifter that sifts out some of the bran. The result is a flour in between white and brown. It is healthier than white unbleached flour but still has a higher gluten content that whole flour making it a perfect balance for most bakery needs.
Locally grown in Canada, buying our organic white unbleached Sutton flour encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.