Organic White Unbleached Wheat Sutton Flour
Our organic white unbleached Sutton flour is made by ''La Milanaise'' in Quebec from organic wheat. This flour has a high protein content of about 13.5% and is sifted to remove all of the bran. This flour is enriched to maximize its profile.
This organic flour can be used to make: baguettes, breads and croissants.
What is the difference between beached and unbleached flour?
- When flour is first milled, it has a yellowish cast that some consumers find unappealing. Within a few months of milling, however, these carotenoids, or pigments, in flour naturally whiten. Because it is expensive to naturally ''age'' flour, some producers expedite the process chemically.
- In ''bleached'' flours, benzoyl peroxide is most commonly used to fade the yellow color. Organic standards are very strict for bleached flours to only use minimal bleaching agents and the safest.
- Cost is the only reason that pushes most commercial bakers to prefer bleached flours.
- Here most of our organic flours are unbleached. All our unbleached flours are clearly marked in the description.
Locally grown in Canada, buying our organic white unbleached Sutton flour encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.