Organic Whole Fresh "Deglet Noor" Dates
This product has to be refrigerated, only purchase it for local pickup, local delivery or fixed freight shipping.
Our fresh organic whole "Deglet Noor" dates, from the Tolga oasis in Algeria, are in a class of their own and they even benefit from a PDO Protected Designation of Origin (PDO). Deglet Noor dates from Tolga are known to be honey-like, soft and almost translucent.
In order to keep their freshness (moisture content of 25% to 35%), these dates are transported as soon as they are picked (October & November) in refrigerated containers. They are therefore very rare in North America. We import them directly from Algeria and they are kept frozen until their delivery. Freezing does not alter the taste or texture. If you have never tried fresh dates, they are well worth the effort!
These fresh dates can be kept for more than a year in the freezer, up to 2 months in the refrigerator and if they are left at room temperature they should be consumed quickly because they will dry out after a few days..
These dates have an excellent nutritional profile. The calorie content of dates is similar to that of other dried fruits, such as raisins and figs. Most of the calories in dates come from carbohydrates. The rest comes from a very small amount of protein. Despite their calories, dates contain important vitamins and minerals, as well as a significant amount of fiber.
Dates provide a variety of antioxidants that have a number of health benefits, including a reduced risk of several diseases. Antioxidants protect your cells from free radicals, which are unstable molecules that can cause harmful reactions in your body and lead to disease. Compared to similar types of fruit, such as figs and dried plums, dates appear to have the highest antioxidant content.
What is the difference between "Aseel", "Deglet Noor" and "Medjool" Dates?
- "Aseel" dates are the super type of dates from Pakistan in terms of sweetness and have a longer shelf life than "Medjool" and "Deglet Noor" dates. Their taste is more neutral than the other 2 varieties and they are close in sugar with "Deglet Noor" dates. "Aseel" dates, chopped or pureed, add a sweet taste to a variety of snacks and desserts. Some people find them a bit dry for snacking and if you prefer a more moist date, "Deglet Noor" dates will be better for you. These are the most affordable varieties we stock and are ideal for cooking.
- "Deglet Noor" dates have a beautiful amber color and a softer and much drier texture, firmer than "Medjool" dates, and keep a little longer. Their very refined taste is similar to honey. They have a very nutty final taste and are less sweet than "Medjool" dates. They keep their texture well once cooked. It is a versatile date. They are in the middle of the price range.
- The fresh dates "Deglet Noor" of Algeria from Tolga are in a class of their own. These fresh dates are very rare in North America. We import them directly from Algeria and they are kept frozen until their delivery. It is recommended to consume them in cold bites as stuffed with blue cheese or surrounded by prosciuttos.
- "Medjool" dates are the largest dates you will commonly find. "Medjool" dates have a rich, almost caramel-like flavor and a soft, chewy texture. They are not ideal for baking as they are very moist and can be a little more difficult to cut evenly. They are also the most expensive of the four and since they still contain the pit, using them for anything other than snacking will be labor intensive.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 4°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.