Organic Whole "Medjool" Dates
Our organic extra fancy medjool dates come whole (unpitted). Dates are a fruit commonly consumed as a part of the Mediterranean diet. "Medjool" dates are commonly dried, which lengthens their life span and prevents early spoilage.
These edible sweet fruits of the date palm tree make great natural sweeteners and sugar substitutes, but they're not just delicious. They've also been proven to decrease cholesterol and boost bone health.
Even if dates are high in natural sugars, their high fiber content prevents the sugar from being absorbed too quickly giving them an overall low glycemic index.
What is the difference between "Aseel", "Deglet Noor" and "Medjool" Dates?
- "Aseel" dates are the super kind of dates from Pakistan in terms of sweetness and have longer shelf life than "Medjool" and "Deglet Noor" dates. Their taste is more neutral than the other 2 varieties and they are close in sweetness with the "Deglet Noor" dates. Chopped or pureed "Aseel" dates add sweetness to a multitude snacks and deserts. Some people find them a little dry for snacking and if you prefer a more moist date, "Deglet Noor" dates will be better for you. These are the most affordable variety we stock and are ideal for cooking.
- "Deglet Noor" dates boast a nice amber color and a chewier and much drier, firmer texture than "Medjool" dates, and keep a little longer. Their taste is similar to honey. They has a very nutty finish taste and less sweet than "Medjool" dates. They hold their texture well when cooked. A great all-purpose date. They are in the middle of the price range.
- "Medjool" dates are the largest dates you will commonly find. "Medjool" dates have a rich, almost caramel-like taste and a soft, chewy texture. They are not ideal for cooking because they are so moist and can be a little more difficult to cut uniformly. They are also the most expensive of the three and since they still contain the pit, using them for anything other than snacking is going to be labor intensive.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.
We Also Recommend
These are amazing! Excellent quality, soft and fresh! We're really enjoying them.