Organic Whole "Medjool" Dates
Our organic extra fancy medjool dates come whole (unpitted). Dates are a fruit commonly consumed as a part of the Mediterranean diet. "Medjool" dates are commonly dried, which lengthens their life span and prevents early spoilage.
These edible sweet fruits of the date palm tree make great natural sweeteners and sugar substitutes, but they're not just delicious. They've also been proven to decrease cholesterol and boost bone health.
Even if dates are high in natural sugars, their high fiber content prevents the sugar from being absorbed too quickly giving them an overall low glycemic index.
What is the difference between "Aseel", "Deglet Noor" and "Medjool" Dates?
- "Aseel" dates are the super type of dates from Pakistan in terms of sweetness and have a longer shelf life than "Medjool" and "Deglet Noor" dates. Their taste is more neutral than the other 2 varieties and they are close in sugar with "Deglet Noor" dates. "Aseel" dates, chopped or pureed, add a sweet taste to a variety of snacks and desserts. Some people find them a bit dry for snacking and if you prefer a more moist date, "Deglet Noor" dates will be better for you. These are the most affordable varieties we stock and are ideal for cooking.
- "Deglet Noor" dates have a beautiful amber color and a softer and much drier texture, firmer than "Medjool" dates, and keep a little longer. Their very refined taste is similar to honey. They have a very nutty final taste and are less sweet than "Medjool" dates. They keep their texture well once cooked. It is a versatile date. They are in the middle of the price range.
- The fresh dates "Deglet Noor" of Algeria from Tolga are in a class of their own. These fresh dates are very rare in North America. We import them directly from Algeria and they are kept frozen until their delivery. It is recommended to consume them in cold bites as stuffed with blue cheese or surrounded by prosciuttos.
- "Medjool" dates are the largest dates you will commonly find. "Medjool" dates have a rich, almost caramel-like flavor and a soft, chewy texture. They are not ideal for baking as they are very moist and can be a little more difficult to cut evenly. They are also the most expensive of the four and since they still contain the pit, using them for anything other than snacking will be labor intensive.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.
We Also Recommend
Ces dattes de grande taille et fraiches font le bonheur de la petite famille. Servies juste en dessert ou dans des recettes, y compris la fameuse omelette aux dattes et menthe, c'est un délice!
These are amazing! Excellent quality, soft and fresh! We're really enjoying them.
Not as good as previous orders
Sad to say, these dates have more 'crystallized sugar' in them so not the same quality for eating as I have previously bought. The price has gone up substantially. Not sure if I will buy them again and will likely try smaller bag to sample first before committing to a large box. Too bad as otherwise, I have had a good experience with Online Organics.