Organic Whole Wheat ''Red Fife'' Flour (Milanaise)
Our organic whole wheat ''Red Fife'' flour is made by ''La Milanaise'' in Quebec from Organic Red Fife wheat, an ancient grain variety. Red Fife wheat was the first wheat grown in Canada.
Red Fife is a wheat variety that was the baking and milling industries' standard of wheat in Canada from 1860 to 1900. The wheat was originally sent to Peterborough, Ontario farmer David Fife in 1840, from whom it took its name. It is impossible to verify where the wheat originated as grain has moved around the world for many centuries.
Whole wheat Red Fife flour is made from whole grain Red Fife wheat and thus retains the nutrients found in whole grains. Whole grains have the 3 parts of the grain; The bran, endosperm and germ.
Whole grain flour health benefits come mainly from its high-fiber content. High-fiber grains help you with digestion, gut health, and weight management. The FDA even affirms that high-fiber, low-fat diets help reduce the risk of cancer and prevent coronary heart disease.
This organic flour can be used to make: baguettes, breads, cakes, cookies, muffins, pancakes, pasta, pie crusts and waffles.
What is ''La Milanaise''?
- Founded in 1977 in Milan, Quebec (Eastern Townships) by Robert and Lily Beauchemin it began as an organic farming venture. In 1982 they started expanding their stone-milled organic flour products by building their first dedicated milling building on the farm and never stopped expanding.
- With their latest factory built in 2016 in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec (Montérégie) ''La Milanaise'' now has a 350 ton per day capacity, becoming the biggest organic milling company in the province.
Locally made in Canada, buying our organic whole Red Fife flour encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
We source our flour directly at the mill in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu 30 minutes away from our facility. By partnering up with the mill we can guarantee an exceptional price and freshness. In order to continue to serve smaller customers there can be up to a 4 week lead time on small flour orders (under 10 bulk bags). If there are any other items in your order we will ship the flour separately.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.