Organic Yerba Mate Tea
Country of Origin:
Our organic yerba mate is an herbal tea. This tea, commonly known simply as mate, is popular in parts of South America. The leaves and twigs of the yerba mate plant are dried, typically over a fire, and steeped in hot water to make an herbal tea. Yerba mate may be served cold or hot. Like black tea, yerba mate contains caffeine.
What is Yerba Mate?
- Yerba Mate Ilex paraguariensis is an evergreen tree native to the subtropical regions of South America. It's a member of the Holly family aquifoliaceae and often grows up to ten meters in height.
- The thick, dark leaves provide color and interest year-round, and small white flowers also blossom in late fall and early winter. In late spring and early summer, small red berries appear on the tree which the seeds come from.
- Yerba Mate can be grown successfully indoors in pots, but it has pretty specific requirements for outdoor planting. Unless you live in a hot and humid region that receives plenty of rainfall, it's not going to be suited to your garden.
What does Yerba Mate tea taste like?
- It is earthy, smoky, woody, fruity and a number of other notes that are not present at the same time in the infusion.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.