Organic White Unbleached Sifted Wheat ''All-Purpose'' Flour
Our organic white unbleached ''All-Purpose'' sifted wheat flour is made by ''La Milanaise'' in Quebec from organic hard red wheat. This all-purpose flour is sifted to remove all of the bran and is not subjected to a bleaching treatment. It is enriched to maximize its profile.
''All-Purpose'', as the name implies is a flour with an average protein percentage, gluten percentage and coarseness. It is the best flour to have in the pantry if you are not an avid baker.
This organic flour can be used to make: baguettes, breads, cakes, cookies, croissants, muffins, pancakes, pasta, pie crusts and waffles.
What is the difference between beached and unbleached flour?
- When flour is first milled, it has a yellowish cast that some consumers find unappealing. Within a few months of milling, however, these carotenoids, or pigments, in flour naturally whiten. Because it is expensive to naturally ''age'' flour, some producers expedite the process chemically.
- In ''bleached'' flours, benzoyl peroxide is most commonly used to fade the yellow color. Organic standards are very strict for bleached flours to only use minimal bleaching agents and the safest.
- Cost is the only reason that pushes most commercial bakers to prefer bleached flours.
- Here most of our organic flours are unbleached. All our unbleached flours are clearly marked in the description.
Locally grown in Canada, buying our organic all-purpose flour encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.