Organic Millet Flour (Lacoste)
Our organic millet flour is made from ground millet, a grain in the grass family that is grown as a crop in many parts of the world. Bakers often appreciate the flour's light texture, and most find that it lends a certain sweet and nutty flavor to breads and other foods. Millet resembles wheat in both appearance and texture, but it is entirely gluten-free, which makes it popular with people who are avoiding gluten.
Millet is a whole grain, and many health experts claim that eating a diet rich in whole grains can help improve heart health and can contribute to a healthy weight. The grain is also a very good source of protein and iron, and is high in dietary fiber.
What is ''Moulin Lacoste''?
- This historic mill was built in the early 1830s in Sainte-Claire (Chaudière-Appalaches) in Quebec. It was at the heart of the development of the parish of Sainte-Claire and the Abenakis. Over the years, grain for the animals and flour were ground there. They sawed wood, made boards, planks, beams and cedar shingles. At that time, the mill was driven by the water of the river, it was dependent on the rhythm of the river.
- The mill fell into a long lethargy during the 1970s. When the turbines gave up the ghost, the owners closed the mill. It was resurrected one fine day in April 1982 under the vision of Hubert Lacoste. He saw in the milling of grains on a stone millstone a way to give back its titles of nobility to the mill and to offer to everyone flour ground on stone millstones. A flour of the highest quality, allowing everyone to choose between so-called commercial flour and this noble product, which has existed for thousands of years as a staple food and a powerful support for daily activities.
- Under Hubert's leadership, thousands of tons of good flour have been produced. In 1986, the quality of these nourishing flours was certified organic. It was sold in Japan, Australia, France, Belgium and many parts of Canada and the United States. In the fall of 2015, after nearly 40 years of service to quality and wellness, Hubert retired.
- Today his son, Reno Lacoste who has taken over the reins of the company. He wishes to continue this tradition of quality that his father established and offer you organic stone-ground flours with the same passion that has animated and still animates my family.
- Lacoste flours are what you would expect from a high quality family mill with attention to details from grain selection to the final product.
- Grains are sourced in Quebec and Ontario with an emphasis on local farmers as much as possible.
Locally made in Canada, buying our organic millet flour encourages local businesses and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
We source our flour directly at the mill in Sainte-Claire (Chaudière-Appalaches) in Quebec. By partnering up with the mill we can guarantee an exceptional price and freshness. In order to continue to serve smaller customers there can be up to a 4 week lead time on small flour orders (under 10 bulk bags). If there are any other items in your order we will ship the flour separately.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.