Organic Oat Bran (Lacoste)
Country of Origin:
Our organic oat bran has a well-balanced nutritional composition. While it has similar amounts of carbs and fat as regular rolled oats, oat bran boasts more protein and fiber, and fewer calories. It is especially high in beta-glucan, a powerful type of soluble fiber.
Oats are widely regarded as one of the healthiest grains you can eat, as they're packed with many important vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
What is the difference between your Rolled Oats Flakes, Rolled Oats Flakes (Gluten-Free), Quick Rolled Oats Flakes, Oat Bran, Oat Groats, Naked (Hulless) Oats & Steel Cut Oats?
- To start all Oats are gluten-free. The difference between all the forms of oats that we sell and the Rolled Oats (Gluten Free) is simple the extra level of precautions from cross-contamination. Unless you are extremely intolerant to gluten you will never notice the difference. That is because although oats themselves don't contain gluten, they're often grown alongside other crops. The same equipment is typically used to harvest crops in neighboring fields, which leads a possibility of cross-contamination if one of those crops contains gluten.
- The difference between steel cut oats and rolled oats lies in the manufacturing process. Steel cut oats are created when a full oat groat is sliced into pieces with steel. In contrast, rolled oats are flattened using large disks. This causes the oat to become flaky and soft, allowing them to absorb more liquid.
- Quick rolled oats are rolled much thinner than and often appear as if they have been coarsely chopped. Rolled oats take between 10-15 minutes to prepare, while quick cooking oats only cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Oat groats are simply a whole oat grain just like steel cut oats and rolled oats. It is just not cut or rolled and is whole.
- Hulless or naked oats have a thinner husk than the traditional variety which falls off on its own at harvest. This saves on processing time, allowing the grains to remain intact and retain their high nutrient content.
- Oat bran is a piece of an oat groat, and oat bran is the outer layer of this oat groat, which is right underneath the inedible grain shell. It is very fibrous and ideal to add fiber to your diet.
What is ''Moulin Lacoste''?
- This historic mill was built in the early 1830s in Sainte-Claire (Chaudière-Appalaches) in Quebec. It was at the heart of the development of the parish of Sainte-Claire and the Abenakis. Over the years, grain for the animals and flour were ground there. They sawed wood, made boards, planks, beams and cedar shingles. At that time, the mill was driven by the water of the river, it was dependent on the rhythm of the river.
- The mill fell into a long lethargy during the 1970s. When the turbines gave up the ghost, the owners closed the mill. It was resurrected one fine day in April 1982 under the vision of Hubert Lacoste. He saw in the milling of grains on a stone millstone a way to give back its titles of nobility to the mill and to offer to everyone flour ground on stone millstones. A flour of the highest quality, allowing everyone to choose between so-called commercial flour and this noble product, which has existed for thousands of years as a staple food and a powerful support for daily activities.
- Under Hubert's leadership, thousands of tons of good flour have been produced. In 1986, the quality of these nourishing flours was certified organic. It was sold in Japan, Australia, France, Belgium and many parts of Canada and the United States. In the fall of 2015, after nearly 40 years of service to quality and wellness, Hubert retired.
- Today his son, Reno Lacoste has taken over the reins of the company. He wishes to continue this tradition of quality that his father established and offer you organic stone-ground flours with the same passion that has animated and still animates my family.
- Lacoste flours are what you would expect from a high quality family mill with attention to details from grain selection to the final product.
- Grains are sourced in Quebec and Ontario with an emphasis on local farmers as much as possible.
Locally made in Canada, buying our organic oat bran encourages local businesses and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
We source our flour directly at the mill in Sainte-Claire (Chaudière-Appalaches) in Quebec. By partnering up with the mill we can guarantee an exceptional price and freshness. In order to continue to serve smaller customers there can be up to a 4 week lead time on small flour orders (under 10 bulk bags). If there are any other items in your order we will ship the flour separately.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.